Last year, participants of Small Town * Big Art's (ST*BA) storytelling exchange led by artist Leilehua Yuen were paired up with community kūpuna to engage in an open talk story session. Each pairing met for an audio-recorded conversation with the goal of capturing an authentic moment of connection through stories that are embedded in a Maui sense of place. Recordings then became the foundation of their fall 2021 ST*BA call-to-artists process, wherein applicants based public art proposals off of a story of their choosing.
Due to the project's strong resonance within our community, ST*BA asked Leilehua to take on a 2022 Hui Mo'olelo cohort to expand our network of storytellers, capture new Maui stories and inspire potential works of public art for their next call-to-artists. Click below to experience 8 of the stories recorded – with more coming soon. (If you feel like you may want to apply for ST*BA's next RFP, start listening now or share with a special artist in your life!)
1. Soon Yai Amaral, Elder kamaʻāina of Lānaʻi + Diane Preza, Kamaʻāina of Lānaʻi (Listen)
2. Dean Del Rosario, Kamaʻāina of Lānaʻi + Shelly Preza, Executive Director, Lānaʻi Culture & Heritage Center (Listen)
3. Annadelle Yahiro + Michael Bursack, Docents for Hale Hōʻikeʻike at the Bailey House / Maui Historical Society (Listen)
4. Hōkūlani Holt, PhD, Kumu Hula, Pāʻū O Hiʻiaka, Ka Hikina O Ka Lā, University of Hawaii Maui College + Cody Pueo Pata, Kumu Hula, Halau Hula ʻo ka Malama Mahilani and cultural advisor to the Maui County Mayor (Listen)
5. Sally Ann Delos Reyes, Water-woman + Lopaka White, Kahoʻolawe Island Reserve Commission (Listen)
6. Kauwela Bisquera, General Manager, Queen Kaʻahumanu Center + Kekoa Enomoto, ʻAhahui Kaʻahumanu and Chairwoman, Paʻupena Community Development Corporation (Listen)
7. Frank De Rego, Maui Police Commission, Maui Native Hawaiian Chamber of Commerce, Maui County Climate Action Resiliency Planning Advisory Committee + Wallette Pellegrino, Former Host of ”Preserving Our Recollections” Oral History TV Program for University of Hawaii Maui College (Listen)
8. BONUS EPISODE: Sissy Lake-Farm + Lopaka White talk story about Hawaiian Canoe Club (Listen)
Click here to visit the Talk Story Project Page.